National Introductory Mediation Course
We offer the ADR Institute of Canada 40-hour National Introductory Mediation Training Course once per year in the Spring, alternating between Saskatoon and Regina. This course is divided into two parts. For 2022, the course was held IN PERSON in Saskatoon.
Part 1: TBD
8:00 am to 5:30 pm daily (subject to change)
Method of Delivery:
This is a comprehensive, 40 hour program which aims to prepare learners to effectively facilitate the Understanding-Based Approach to resolving disputes.
Taught by nationally approved Chartered Mediators of the Institute, along with a team of Coaches who are either Chartered or Qualified Mediators, this course will be of interest to anyone learning mediation skills to either enhance their conflict resolution skills, or pursue a career as a mediator. No prior mediation training or qualifications required.
- Develop a clear understanding of their own perceptions, biases, and attitudes and how they impact others in conflict resolution.
- Learn the dynamics of conflict and the challenges of entering into negotiations.
- Learn tools for active listening, effective communicating, and managing power imbalance and heightened emotion in individuals in conflict.
- Learn the six phases of the Understanding-Based Approach to assist parties in reaching creative, mutually satisfactory resolutions.
- Participate in role plays to practice new conflict resolution skills and techniques.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Anyone interested in learning mediation skills either to enhance their conflict resolution skills, or to pursue a career in mediation, including: Lawyers, Human Resource Professionals, Accountants, Educators, Project Managers, Team Leaders and anyone involved in situations where conflict may arise.
- No prior mediation training or qualifications required.
- This Course satisfies the Full Member criteria for an ADR Institute-approved 40 hour course in mediation, thereby providing graduates with access to membership in the ADR Institute of Canada. It also provides the basic training component for the ADR Canada Qualified Mediator (Q.Med) designation.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CREDITS
3 full days of instruction, followed by another 2 full days of instruction, and a final day of testing/evaluation.
INCLUDED IN YOUR REGISTRATION FEE
- The National Introductory Mediation Course Manual
- The National Introductory Mediation Course Activities Manual
Participants will be required to complete a Conflict Styles Inventory
prior to the start of the Course. This material will be provided to registrants by e-mail about 10 days in advance.
Participants will receive a Certificate upon successful completion of the Course.
Charmaine Panko, L.L.B., C.Med., Q.Arb., is a collaborative lawyer, mediator, and arbitrator who has assisted in the resolution of legal disputes of all types from corporate commercial to family and estate matters. She is committed to the education and development of dispute resolution practitioners, having trained numerous professionals in understanding-based processes such as collaborative law and mediation.
Charmaine is a sectional lecturer at the University of Saskatchewan’s College of Law teaching the upper year negotiations class, and provides coaching and mentoring on a volunteer basis.
M. Scott Siemens, C.Med, B.Comm., FICB, is a recently retired Government of Canada accredited Internal Labour Relations Mediator with the Department of Justice’s ICMS network. Scott regularly provides training on internal government management techniques, conflict resolution, and restorative justice.
Scott's background includes volunteering overseas administering conflict transformation programs, and working within various multi-disciplinary teams engaged in conflict resolution.
Note: The ADR Institute of Canada National Introductory Training Programs are delivered exclusively through highly qualified Trainers who have been accredited by ADRIC to deliver the programs.
COURSE FEES (2022)
Members: $2,495 plus GST
Non-Members: $2,695 plus GST
View our detailed registration protocol here.
CANCELLATION POLICY (2022)
(2022 course delivery):Request for cancellation must be received in writing to [email protected] Requests received on or prior to July 29, 2022 receive a full refund less a $100 administration fee; between July 30 and August 23, 2022, receive a full refund less a $200 administration fee; on or after August 24, 2022, receive a full refund less a $750 administration fee.